Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 20:04:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
Subject:   Swap space.

I am very seriously considering, for performance reasons, to run the swap
partition on a separate physical drive.  It just seems like a good idea to
me.   I have an old Caviar 400MB IDE drive explicitely set aside for the
swap partition.  It still screams along fairly well and if I put it on the
second IDE controller then traffic going to and from swap won't get bound
up with traffic going to and from the main drive.  Am I thinking
correctly?  And is 400 MB of swap space just TOO obscene for a 64MB RAM
system?  Pitfalls?

I chose 400 MB simply because that's the size of my extra drive...I don't
OWN a smaller drive.

If no one knows, I will be glad to run some comparisons...it's going to be
"just" a workstation, though...not much network throughput at all.