Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:02:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        veldy@visi.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Failure to make buildworld on RELENG_3

In article <36AA271C.1BCFA7B7@visi.com>,
Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy@visi.com> wrote:
> It seems to be the same problem we have been having with current.
> Should it be crypt stuff be backed out of here as well?
>
> ===> libpam/modules/pam_radius
> ===> libpam/modules/pam_skey
> ===> libpam/modules/pam_tacplus
> ===> libpam/modules/pam_unix
> ===> libpam/libpam
> ld -o pam_static_modules.o -r -Bforcearchive pam_static.o
> ../modules/pam_cleartext_pass_ok/libpam_cleart
> ext_pass_ok.a ../modules/pam_kerberosIV/libpam_kerberosIV.a
> ../modules/pam_radius/libpam_radius.a ../mod
> ules/pam_skey/libpam_skey.a ../modules/pam_tacplus/libpam_tacplus.a
> ../modules/pam_unix/libpam_unix.a
> ../modules/pam_cleartext_pass_ok/libpam_cleartext_pass_ok.a(pam_cleartext_pass_ok.o):
> Definition of symb
> ol `_pam_sm_authenticate' (multiply defined)

Did you use -DNOCLEAN in your make world?  (Or is it in your
/etc/make.conf file?)  It looks like it.  Otherwise, why did nothing
get built in the various "modules" subdirectories.

And are you sure all of your sources are up to date?

I tested this stuff with a full make world on a -current ELF system.
In addition, I tested libpam and login for all combinations of
{{aout,elf}{dynamic linking,NOSHARED=yes}}.  The relevant sources are
identical in the RELENG_3 branch, except for the RCS $Id$ strings of
course.

I'd recommend doing a "make clean cleandepend" in "src/lib/libpam"
and trying again.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken