Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:06:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kim Scarborough <lists@jinx.unknown.nu>
To:        Bill <bwoods2@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a REAL OLD system help please

> Now, I do have some software that I got with the drive, to make old
> systems see large drives, Maxtor HD Max or something, but I am almost sure
> that wont work with freebsd.

Not true! I ran into the same problem you did trying to put a 15 GB Maxtor
HD in an old Gateway 2000 P75. I installed the MaxBlast software and it
works great. In fact, this is being posted from the very box I refer to.

What that software does is sit in your MBR and trick the BIOS into
thinking it's a smaller drive, sorta. But the OS will see the whole
thing. Since it loads before the OS, it's not OS-specific, and should work
with anything. It definitely works with FreeBSD.

The only problem you might run into is if you're trying to put something
else in the MBR; i.e., some sort of bootloader. Make sure you select
"leave the MBR untouched" when you install FreeBSD.

If you absolutely have to have something else in the MBR, like if this box
is going to dual-boot, there may still be hope for you. Nearly all BIOS
manufacturers make flash upgrades for their old models that will allow you
to use large HDs. It'll be a free download; the trick is finding it, since
nearly all manufacturer's web sites seem to have been created by
madmen. So you'll need to dig a bit. When you find it, you'll be able to
use your HD without that Maxtor software. But using MaxBlast is definitely
an easier solution.

Whatever you do, please promise me you won't buy a new motherboard, like I
saw somebody suggesting here. That would just make me sad...

Kim Scarborough                                    http://www.unknown.nu/kim/