Date:      Thu, 24 Nov 2016 14:00:13 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Michael Sperber <sperber@deinprogramm.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't get 11.0-RELEASE to boot on Banana PI M3

On 2016-Nov-24, at 1:21 PM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 09:23:43 +0100
> Michael Sperber <sperber at deinprogramm.de> wrote:
>

>> I'm new to this list (and to FreeBSD on ARM), so forgive me if I'm
>> asking something trivial:
>>
>> I built a FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE image for my BPI M3 using Crochet, by the
>> book as far as I can tell.  The result doesn't boot, and I see no
>> external indication that anything is happening.  (I.e. no LEDs blinking,
>> as they usually do when a working image boots up.)

As for LED's:  the BPi-M3 that I have access to is
up running a FreeBSD stable/11 vintage and the red
LED stays on instead of blinking.

>> This thread:
>>
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.arm/14466
>>
>> ... led me to believe uboot might currently be broken.  Is that indeed
>> the case?  Any instructions I could follow to get a working version.
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Mike
>
> Hello,
>
> Do you have a serial cable attached ? We do not support HDMI output on
> this SoC right now so that just might be it.
>
> --
> Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> <manu at freebsd.org>

Good point. In my reply I should have pointed him at the
"Supported devices" table on:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Allwinner

and its A83T column. The content may at times
reflect head instead of stable/11 in some respects
but what it indicates as not working in head would
also generally not work in stable/11 or release/11.0.?
or releng/11.0 .

Listed as "not supported":

Audio (analog)
Audio (HDMI)
Framebuffer
HDMI video

and that implicitly means serial cable use --or
ssh use. (I do both.)

I'll note that cpufreq and powerd do not yet work
together despite what might expect from the table.
If I understand right that is true of head for the
BPi-M3, not just stable/11 and other 11 variants.
(It likely will get to the point of being MFC'd
later sometime.)

There is no mention of it on this or any other page
that I've found but only 4 of the 8 cores for an A83T
are supported: the others go unused. (Also noted in
my prior message.)

One oddity of tracking functionality is that head now
has, for example, both ALLWINNER and GENERIC but
stable/11 and other 11's do not have GENERIC. It
might be that at times ALLWINNER and GENERIC are not
super/subsets of each other but that both omit
something that the other has that could apply to the
BPi-M3. Some material is being MFC'd to stable/11
but there might be some things that are not to be
MFC'd.

I do not know if GENERIC will ever move to stable/11.

Fixing one bad typo in my prior message:

> all the cores are of the same time

should have been:

all the cores are of the same type

===