Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:49:48 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib005.iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: access ATAPI CDROM from cdrdao/cdrecord

Mike

Mike Meyer (mwm@mired.org) commented the following on "Re: access ATAPI CDROM from cdrdao/cdrecord":

> Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar> types:
[snipped]
> > I haven't found anything in the handbook and searching the freebsd mailing archives is a pain ...
>
> Well, the answers are in the mail list archives.
>
> 	<mike

Actually after re-reading my mail I noticed that the meaning of what I said is different than what I tried to say ... happens once in a while when english is not your native language.
What I wanted to say was that searching the archives is a pain BECAUSE the search engine is a pain. Not all lists are archived and searching with several words almost always produces no results. So I did search the topic, but got no clues.

Still I have some questions, how does you FreeBSD users extract audio from a CD-ROM?

Right now I'm using my SCSI CD-writer. But if i didn't have SCSI at all I would be left with what?

Does any of the FreeBSD utilities have the ability to correct for jitter and noise?

In my experience I've found that both cdda2wav (comes with cdrecord/cdrtools) and dagrab (found in in the ports collection) are not the right tools to extract audio ... even when you don't notice anything when playing the original CD, most often you will hear some glitches in the .wav files.

Under Linux, cdparanoia (www.xiph.org) and cdrdao extraction (which uses cdparanoia libs) are the best audio extraction utilities. cdrdao is in the ports collection and works OK ... but only if you have SCSI. cdparanoia does not appear to work in FreeBSD, the linux ELF binary that I tried failed to detect my CDROM drive. Seems like this is because it tries to use a generic SCSI device of the type /dev/sg, which are not present in FreeBSD (?)

I would appreciate any comments and ideas about this issue.

Thanks again,

Fernan