Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:56:50 -0600
From:      Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   setting audio record levels ... any VU meter type apps?

Yes, me again.....  :-)    My long series of questions is the result of
having capabilities that I didn't have (or couldn't really take advantage
of very well) before upgrading from my old, tired computer[1] running a
home-grown BSD-like variant of Linux, to my new, much more powerful
computer[2] running FreeBSD 4.1.1, so please bear with me.... :-)

Anyways, I'm doing a lot of conversion of audio that, until now, I've
only had on cassette or record, to CD and/or MP3, and one thing I've
run into again and again is the need for a simple VU meter for setting
the record levels by something other than trial and error...which works,
but can be a royal PITA.  Does anyone here know of either a mixer app,
or other app, that provides this capability?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for a more reasonable method
than trying to vary both the line input level and the record level (via
trial and error) to get the best compromise?

Suggestions most welcome.....

Btw, my sound card is the Soundblaster PCI 128.

Thanks as always,
   --jim

[1] AMD K5 133 MHz ... and as I've recently learned is common with the
    AMD K5 (which I'm told almost put AMD out of business), crashes if
    you even so much as look at it funny.

[2] AMD Athlon 650 MHz

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | "Debating unix flavors in the context of anything
jim@n5ial.gnt.net       | Microsoft is like talking about which ice cream