Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:39:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        steve@visint.co.uk, jbryant@tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

[ Wearing my ugly sales/marketing hat ]

> I never meant to imply that we were the center of the universe, simply
> that I'd seen the product in stores here. I can't speak for other
> areas of the world simply because I don't live in those areas.  QED. :-)

Doesn't Walnut Creek CDROM have a GIS?!?  I don't know how a modern
sales organization could prosper without one...

> I also talked with our sales manager yesterday about getting into more
> retail stores and her comment was that we were definitely _trying_ to do
> this on a more or less constant basis, but getting in bed with the Mafia
> for a portion of their lucrative drug-and-sex trade is actually *easier*
> than getting into some of these retail stores.  They only buy from
> certain distributors and those same distributors require some pretty
> insane deals, including direct kick-backs and up-front subsidies
> ("You give us $50,000 up-front and we'll agree to stock your product").
>
> We're not quite big enough to support that kind of graft. :(

Is this a "stocking fee" (illegal) or is it a consignment agreement
(legal, but not the way you want to sell, if you sell by stuffing
the channel and praying for rain...)?  I could see Egghead wanting
consignment.  You have to shave them points to make up for it, but
you *can* get them to buy.  As to whether or not stuffing the channel
and prayer are an appropriate way to sell, well...

FreeBSD is (essentially) a UNIX-clone product... have you contacted
the UNIX products division of Ingram Micro-D?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.