Date:      Fri, 18 May 2018 11:11:20 -0400
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: enabling kernel dump options in GENERIC

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 06:14:50AM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
> On 2018-May-17, at 11:17 PM, Mark Johnston <markj at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 08:58:16PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
> >> Mark Johnston markj at FreeBSD.org wrote on
> >> Thu May 17 17:24:19 UTC 2018 :

> >> Bugzilla 214598 (from late 2016) was about
> >> dump for TARGET_ARCH=powerpc64 builds getting
> >> failures like:
> >>
> >> KDB: enter: manual escape to debugger
> >> [ thread pid 12 tid 10018 ]
> >> Stopped at       .kdb_enter+0x70:       ori r0, r0, 0x0
> >> db> dump
> >> Dumping 9 MB (3 chunks)
> >>  chunk 0: 10MB (2510 pages) ... ok
> >>  chunk 1: 1MB (24 pages) ... ok
> >>  chunk 2: 1MB (2 pages)panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: c000000000022000
> >>
> >> (A 32-bit powerpc build on the same machine worked
> >> fine for dumping.)
> >>
> >> I just tried it with head -r333594 and I got something
> >> similar. (Old and new mention routines with _bus_dma_map_
> >> in the names near the trap in the call stack. I've not
> >> done a detailed comparison.)
> >
> > What is the call stack?
>
> I'll have to induce the failure, take a picture of
> the screen that results, and hand type in the
> material for the fairly modern backtrace (-r333594).
> I will not be able to do this until later today.
>
> The bugzilla report has the old backtrace. I did not
> quote all the material from that report in the above.
> So there is something to compare against once I
> supply a modern one.

My apologies, I missed the fact that the backtrace was included in that
PR. Since the problem still occurs and apparently manifests with a
similar backtrace, it wouldn't be useful to retest. I'm afraid I don't
have any suggestions on how to make progress here. Given that the new
options give only a small increase in the kernel size, I'm still
inclined to enable them on powerpc64 for consistency with other
architectures.