Date:      Tue, 12 May 2015 07:50:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Edward Tomasz =?utf-8?Q?Napiera=C5=82a?= <trasz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: should automounted file systems be exportable?

Edward Napierala wrote:
> On 0511T2217, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > A recent bug was reported related to mountd and the
> > "automounted" flag.
> >
> > Loosely related to this is the question...
> > Should automounted file systems be exportable?
> >
> > I haven't tested it, but I suspect that it would be
> > broken and the NFS server will reply NFSERR_STALE
> > after the file system has been dismounted.
> >
> > So, should I patch mountd so that it won't export
> > automounted file systems?
>
> Exporting an automounted filesystem doesn't seem to make much sense,
> I agree, but I'm not sure if adding code to prevent it is such
> a good idea.  If the user asks for it, by putting it into exports(5),
> it's his fault; the only thing this code could add would be a more
> friendly error message.

Well, my thinking is that the recent patch to mountd that avoids
doing mount update for non-exported file systems + one that doesn't
allow automounted volumes to be exported fixes this bug:
  http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?1429477202.29812.38.camel

That way, there is no rush w.r.t. how to update the high order
bits of flags. (As noted in the comment w.r.t. the review of D2506,
I'm not sure if an updated syscall is allowed to be MFC'd.)
Since MNT_AUTOMOUNTED is the only high order bit at this time,
once it is fixed, no MFC of the more generic fix is needed.

Make sense? rick