Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:11:44 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.x -- New Install -- serious partition misalignment

Apparently, I owe everyone an apology.

I found out (a bit too late) that the WD 1 TB "black" drive that had
come to me in sealed anti-static bag with a warning on it about
"Advanced Format" drives (and possible OS incompatability) was not
in fact itself an AF drive.  Rather it is a traditional drive with
512 byte sectors.

I tried doing a test install of FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 onto a different drive...
one that I am quite sure had the new AF 4KB physical blocks and sure enough,
all partitions were properly and automagically aligned on 4KB boundaries.

I have put in a request to cancel the PR that I had filed regarding this
issue.

My thanks for Nathan Whitehorn for his input and forbearance.