Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 07:34:59 -0600
From:      Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld.

Peter Wemm wrote:
> Due to sigaction(2) syscall number changes, doing a 'make installworld'
> without having booted a new kernel would be rather messy.  For example, if
> you tried to reboot with the old kernel, /sbin/init and /bin/sh would get a
> signal and abort. That would be bad.

Does this apply to ports as well?  GNOME applications have started
crashing a lot all of a sudden after updating my kernel (I haven't done
'installworld' yet).  Do I need to rebuild all the GNOME stuff, or
should I just back off to my previous kernel and wait a little while
longer before doing another cvsup?

  -Patrick

--
Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@137.org				| 2274 Howe Hall Room 2624