Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 10:13:51 +0000
From:      Torbjorn Ose <torbjorn@norway.eu.net>
To:        tqbf@enteract.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Critical Security Problem in 4.4BSD crt0

In message <199702030943.DAA18201@enteract.com>, "Thomas H. Ptacek" writes:
> > This was also fixed in 2.1.6 and there was much talk about this ages ago
> > when it was first discovered. This was last year sometime. I also recall
> > reading an advisory from FreeBSD about this.

ok, I could be wrong about 2.1.6. Here's the first message I can find that
mentions the problem (from Best of Security). It's from August 1996 so the
problem has been well known for a long time. It seems all other messages I have
on this bug are personal mails that I cannot quote from without permission.