Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:28:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail IO problems

    Also:

    * ps axlww

    * dmesg

    * pstat -s

    * 'vmstat 1' output for a good 20 seconds.

    (during the period of heavy disk I/O).

    In re: to softupdates.  It should make a huge difference for mail
    applications.  If it doesn't, then perhaps it isn't compiled into
    your kernel?  I recommend researching that a bit more, turning it on
    (unmount the filesystem(s), 'tunefs -n enable filesystem' for each
    filesystem, then mount them up again), and making sure it's configured
    in the kernel ('options SOFTUPDATES' in the kernel config.
    In 4.2, the generic kernel has it configured).

						-Matt