Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:58:29 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        ken@tydfam.iijnet.or.jp
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q) SMP kernel for 2.2R

Hi,

>  Do you have any plan to implement SMP kernel for 2.2-RELEASE?
>
>  I am using ASUS P/I-P6NP5(C-P6ND), mptable attached, as my server,
>and want to install SMP kernel.
>-current seemingly is under file system modification and Lite 2
>implementation, and it is too unstable for server use.  I tried
>the recent SMP source on 2.2-RELEASE and succeded in compilation,
>but it stopped at after "npx0: INT 16 interface" and before
>"sctarg0(noadapter::): Processor Target", assuming it displayes
>the same as single processor kernel.

don't think this will ever happen.  the current version of SMP has
many compromises that just won't cut it for the real thing.  As we
continue development the INT structure etc. is going to change vastly
from the current (ie 2.2) model.  Although the current SMP might be
modifiable to work under 2.2 with a little work, the future changes
will make it impossible, and it would be a waste of time to maintain
a parallel branch for 2.2.  This is a major reason we went to 3.0.

sorry...
--
Steve Passe	| powered by