Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:47:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jacques Caron <Jacques.Caron@IPsector.com>, Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Subject:   Re: getting wi running as a bridge

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Jacques Caron wrote:

> And this won't work with two boxes configured as APs: they won't talk to
> each other (only stations talk to APs). And regular stations can't
> bridge (because of differences in the 802.11 frame format depending on
> whether the source/destination MAC addresses match the wireless cards or
> something else).
>
> To obtain a real 802.11 bridge, you need the cards to be able to run in
> so-called WDS mode, but I'm not even sure this is supported with the
> PRISM cards, let alone the Orinocos.

Do you mean it's not supported by the driver in FreeBSD?  I ask this
because I have one of those Apple Airports (an older one), and they use
Orinoco Silver cards.

> Your only options are:
> - route instead of bridging: this requires 3 subnets (one for each LAN
> and a /30 for the wireless link), and IP forwarding enabled
> - set up some form of tunnel
> - a specific case of the above, setup an IPsec VPN between the two
> boxes.
>
> Note that the latter options probably require some sort of routing too,
> or you'll need to do some fun things with proxy ARP or promiscuous mode
> somehow...

An IPSec VPN is a form of a tunnel (well, IPsec goes inside a tunnel, but
whatever), which would require routing like you described in the first
option.

I have an article in my notes at home that gives an excellent setup for a
wireless gateway.  It shows how to setup the network so that the
gateway won't forward packets unless they come through the IPSec tunnel
(there's no default route on the gateway).  This prevents just anyone from
getting an IP and gaining access to the Internet (or whatever is on the
other side of the gateway).  I'll post that link later tonight.