Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 00:10:44 -0700
From:      "larry price" <laprice@gmail.com>
To:        beno <zope@2012.vi>
Cc:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reinstalling Python with mod_python Problem

On 8/1/06, beno <zope@2012.vi> wrote:
> It's been years since I've done this. I had a programmer working for me
> who disappeared one day, and now I'm taking over his responsibilities. I
> need to re-configure Apache for mod_python which means I have to rebuild
> python. I'm working with the latest distro. I'm heavily dependent on
> zope, so all this has to work together. Platform is FreeBSD 5.3. I have
> the following questions:
>
> What is meant by pointing to this folder thus:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/python
>
> When I run make test I get these errors:
>
> 2 tests failed:
>    test_mimetools test_urllib2
> 48 tests skipped:
>    test_aepack test_al test_applesingle test_asynchat test_bsddb
>    test_bsddb3 test_cd test_cl test_codecmaps_cn test_codecmaps_hk
>    test_codecmaps_jp test_codecmaps_kr test_codecmaps_tw test_curses
>    test_doctest test_fork1 test_gdbm test_gl test_imgfile test_imp
>    test_linuxaudiodev test_logging test_macfs test_macostools
>    test_nis test_normalization test_ossaudiodev test_pep277
>    test_plistlib test_queue test_scriptpackages test_socket
>    test_socket_ssl test_socketserver test_sunaudiodev test_tcl
>    test_thread test_threaded_import test_threadedtempfile
>    test_threading test_threading_local test_threadsignals
>    test_timeout test_unicode_file test_urllib2net test_urllibnet
>    test_winreg test_winsound
> 13 skips unexpected on freebsd5:
>    test_threadedtempfile test_imp test_threaded_import test_fork1
>    test_threading test_threadsignals test_socket test_thread
>    test_queue test_asynchat test_doctest test_threading_local
>    test_logging
> *** Error code 1
>
> What do I do about those failed tests? I've googled this with no luck.
> Please advise what to do or at least how to start
> TIA,
> beno

starting from a clean install updated to RELENG_5_3
install ports
update ports using cvsup
build python24 from ports
build apache2 from ports
build mod_python3 from ports

if you are trying to replicate a particular build version please say so.

mimetools and urllib2 are both fairly recent additions to python
standard library but you don't say which version you were attempting
to build.

The recipe I listed above should get you to a recent stable build, but
will probably require some level of porting of the original python
code.

mod_python + Django = fast and functional web applications