Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2007 00:29:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        volker@vwsoft.com
Cc:        tom@tomjudge.com, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: axe(4) and Linksys USB200M question

     On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:46:56 +0200 Volker <volker@vwsoft.com> wrote
>On 09/10/07 23:16, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      Oh.  So now I have another couple of white elephants.  Damn.  And I still
>> don't have anything that will work as a second interface.  Sigh.
>
>Do not trash them. Please test the patches available at:
>http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/sys/dev/usb/

     Thank you.  I've already heard from someone else off-list who has been
working on a patch for axe(4) modules.  That person says that the patch is
working on a different USB NIC that uses the same chipset, but that performance
is still poor.  The performance that the author is thus far getting is plenty
adequate for my current needs, and I plan to test that patch in the next day or
two.  If it fails to work or produces errors, I will next try the patch you
mention above.  If it works, however, I understand that the patch may be
committed to -HEAD soon, though the author would like to test it on some other
devices using the older chipset as well first.

>>      Also, do you have any suggestions for alternatives?
>
>I know your problem well. I do have a bunch of not supported USB NICs
>but also I've got a bunch of supported ones (mostly aue(4) based
>ones). These are cheap, and are sold a lot. There's (AFAIK) just one
>newer aue chipset which is currently not supported by aue(4) and is
>giving some errors. I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong
>with them.
>
>When grabbing aue based USB NICs from an online source, the chances
>are 3 out of 4 you're getting a supported one. But you should test

     That's great to know, and I will keep your message at hand in case the
USB200Ms don't work soon.  Thank you for that.

>your USB200Mv2 using the patches first.

     Right on.  Thanks again for the help!

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG