Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:46:46 +0100
From:      Chris Delnooz <c.delnooz@home.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in school networks - interested?

Hi Peter,

> I am a teacher on a "Gesamtschule" in Wuppertal, Germany. I have
> got pupils/students between 10 and 19 years.
> Since I behaved very well on our school's Win NT/2000 network our
> Chief-Admin allowed me some spare 5 Gigs on four of our classroom
> computers for "playing around" with some UN*X.

That's some accomplishment already :P

> At the first look this is not too sensational, but it is
> a chance I would like to take to become independent of M$'s
> monopol and price policy. Our schools always lack of money and
> you have to fight for each single EURO if you whish to try
> something new. And of course everybody is used to M$ software and
> has to be convinced to learn something new.

Yeah, it's the same everywhere... problem is that the politicians know
nothing about eductation or computers... so they make decisions on something
they don't know :P

> I only teach maths and physics - so I don't know too much about
> computers. Thus I would like to find some people "out there" who
> are interested in this topic. Students, too, of course would be
> welcome.
> Perhaps - in a year or so - we could found a FreeBSD-schools
> project.

It's not very clear what you want to achieve with this "school-project". Do
you have some clear goals in mind?

I can imagine that you would install FBSD with some nice graphical
environment (KDE sort of comes to mind, most M$ users will have little
trouble with KDE) and enable your students to browse the web, read their
emails and make their documents (staroffice, koffice, gnome-office etc)  on a
Unix machine. This will show them quickly that a Unix machine can do anything
a m$ machine can do (and then some ;)

Since you're a maths and physics teacher, you might want to incorporate some
computer related courses, which will use FBSD ofcourse :) in the ports
collection there are probably some programs that might be useful. Or you
could make something yourself.

This is just some initial rambling, my 2c so to say, i have nothing specific
in mind (yet) but if you want to talk about it to generate some ideas,
contact me on email (c.delnooz@home.nl). Oh, i'm from Roermond, Netherlands
btw.

regards
Chris Delnooz