Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:50:33 -0700
From:      John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
To:        qa@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   followup to problems with 4.3-RC1 for laptops

hello all,

I scanned some of the archives and reworked my kernel's pcic0 device as
follows:

  device  pcic0 at isa? irq 10 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000

changing "irq 0" to "irq 10". Now the kernel is much happier. The thing
will
boot with the card in place and seems to Do The Right Thing(tm) when it
is
ejected and re-inserted. I haven't tested it with minicom, but it seems
like
the pccard modem is binding to sio4 correctly (or vice versa I guess).
Upon
a successful boot I see:

 sio4 at port 0x2f8-2ff irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0

Question: would switching the GENERIC kernel to use "irq 10" be Bad(tm)?
Are
the Dell laptops "odd balls" that happen to work with this while the
general
world works with "irq 0"?

On the hanging kernel I booted verbose and the last line to print was:

  isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices

there doesn't seem to be any setting (on/off or otherwise) in the CPx's
BIOS affecting PnP.

On a related topic (more for -mobile), when the pccard modem

  3Com Megahertz 56k Global GSM & Cellular Modem PC Card Model 3CCM756

is inserted into the machine, I see this on the console:

  Card "3Com Megahertz" ("3CXM756/3CCM756") [(null)] [(null)] has
function ID 2

what concerns me is the "null" entries. Is it because this particular PC
card
doesn't have a specific entry in pccard.conf?

Thanks,

-Jr