Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:50:50 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        "'Mikhail Teterin'" <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI sound board, apm on a dual PII

Ladavac Marino wrote:

>         [ML]  Yuck.  This sounds like a modem which uses the soundcard
> DSP chip and A/D converters.  The other card has probably only an RJ11
> socket and a 600 Ohm line transformer on it.  An ultimate WinModem.  I
> don't think they can get any worse than that, unless they start to use
> the built-in PC speaker leads for output and whatnot for input (yoghurt
> container and a piece of string connected to a joystick, perhaps?  And
> ants pushing the bits :)

Or it could be a voice-enabled modem that uses the soundcard for playing and
capturing voice to the phone line, e.g. "Thankyou for calling. For sales Press
#1", and "Please leave your message now" (sound card then samples the caller).
In which case the modem will probably work without the sound card, but by the
sound of it the modem is a WinModem anyway, so it's not going to help you
much...

If it were me, I'd try to replace the modem with a more
conventional/compatible one... Just my $0.02's worth.

-Kp