Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:52:06 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max partitions in one slice?

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 08:47:15AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Tuesday,  5 January 1999 at 14:03:55 -0800, Mike Meyer wrote:

> > firewalls (terminology courtesy of Mike O'Dell). I split /usr off from
> > / on my system, in part so I don't have to worry about filling / while
> > mucking about with /usr/ports and thus causing real problems. Ditto
> > for putting your own stuff on a different file system from root, or
> > one where you log files, etc. That way, a runaway user process can't
> > cripple the system by running something critical out of space (or,
> > given the 10% slop, so close that it'll finish the job itself).
>
> I've never had this problem myself, but that's what quotas are for.

i was wonting to use this stratagy, but all teh literature that covers it says
to be extra carefull because it is significanly 'unreliable'.

so, if you are suggesting that teh quota mechanisms be used ? how does one
make up for teh inherant (?) weakness and concomitant failures ? apart frojm
regular tape backups and maybe some sort of semi intelligent filesystem
management like say raid or vinum ?

sorry, i realise that this mybe a more philosophical issue question than a
hard as system silicon thingie, than is usual for freebsd-questions but i'm
getting to that stage, where quotas (or some type of a solution) will have
to come online sooner rahter than latter.

regards

jonathan