Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:12:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy" <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Starting X (or xdm) in rc.local

I must be missing something obvious.  On several FreeBSD systems
(running 2.2.2 to 2.2.7) I cannot get X (or xdm) to start from
rc.local.  More precisely, xdm starts, but the keyboard is inoperable.
I cannot login; I cannot switch out of X with ALT-F1, ALT-F2, etc.; I
cannot kill xdm.  The most response I can get is a message in the
xconsole window saying that login dumped core (after, say ALT-F1, then
ENTER).  The mouse works.

I can remove the commands from rc.local, boot, su to root and start
xdm manually without any problems.

I have a very similar problem on a machine I've tried to setup as an
X-terminal; there I only start X, not xdm.  The end result is the
same: I get a chooser and can select a host, but cannot login.

Any suggestions?

Russ Murphy