Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:46:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Chuck McCrobie <mccrobie@cablespeed.com>, freebsd-scsi <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pioneer DRM-600 problem

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:24:50 -0400, Chuck McCrobie wrote:
> > >
> > > It looks like it's behaving bogusly there.  It shouldn't respond to an
> > > inquiry on LUNs 6 and 7 if there isn't a CD slot at those LUNs.
> > >
> > > Anyway, that should be mostly harmless.
> >
> > Yes, this is a LUN based changer.  To get it to swap disks, one
> > references the other LUNs.  The changer should automatically swap out
> > one disk and insert the other.  It looks like its doing what it should
> > during the probe.
> >
> > I don't remember exactly what the SCSI spec. says for LUNs - I think
> > reporting that the "Logical unit not supported" is valid for LUNs 6 and
> > 7 - what else would a LUN type device report if it supports 6 out of 8
> > LUNs?
>
> It shouldn't respond to an inquiry on that LUN if that LUN isn't supported.
>
> The "Logical unit not supported" error is correct, but we should never get
> that far.  The first thing we do for each LUN is send an inquiry, and the
> device should just not send back a response if it doesn't support the LUN.

I thought it was legit to respond to inquiry with the following qualifier
if the device is there but doesn't support the requested LUN.

#define SID_QUAL_BAD_LU    0x03    /* The target is not capable of
                                    * supporting a physical device on
                                    * this logical unit. For this
                                    * peripheral qualifier the peripheral
                                    * device type shall be set to 1Fh to