Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 98 18:05:00 PST
From:      Frank Wang <Frank_Wang@ccm.iprc.intel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A Question about free-bsd.

     Dear,

     I downloaded all files from
     ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.5-RELEASE/bin, but I can't
     install it both from floppy disk or DOS partition. Every time when the
     BSD installer retreives infomation from file bin.ai, it shows an error
     message: Write failure in transfer(wrote -1 bytes of 1024 bytes). I
     have tried almost all the different brend motherboards in our
     lab(440LX shipset), the same problem.

     So I checked in detail about the file "bin.inf" and found there is
     somthing abnormal. All the records, except the first one, in file
     bin.inf are with the format of "cksum.?? = 3314456633 240640", where
     the 240640 represents the actural file size of bin.??. But when you go
     to the record of "cksum.ai = ******** 240640", the actural size of
     bin.ai is not 240640 but 239647. I wonder whether the error is caused
     by this. I am the beginner about FreeBSD. So forgive me if it is not
     that case.

     Thanks very much if you can give me a hand.
     Frank Wang
     Intel