Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:39:18 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repetitive docs install?

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 03:55:29PM -0700, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> this is occurring on each of my -STABLE machines, tracking the docproj
> twice daily (i get bored a lot).
>
> couple weeks ago, my docs tree started doing a very repetative install
> process. it goes:

<...>
> any thoughts?

Yes please. I have noticed this problem on -CURRENT long time ago and
apperantly this just hit the -STABLE tree as well. (Which is a good
thing, hopefully it will be fixed now. At the time I wrote about this
and no one bothered, presumably because there are not many people
tracking the docs on -CURRENT. But I digress.)

The short story is that there was a change in the base system .mk files
(in bsd.subdir.mk) that causes the list of subdirectories to be
traversed twice now, but in a recursive manner just as you saw. (The
situation gets worse as the depth of the directory structure increases)
The macros to watch out for are _SUBDIRUSE in doc/share/mk/doc.subdir.mk
and _SUBDIR in src/share/mk/bsd.subdir.mk. They both do the same thing,
so only one should remain. (preferably the one in the base). The same
problem will appear with the website build as well BTW, there the file
to change is www/share/mk/web.site.mk. (The macro is _PROGSUBDIR)

I can supply patches if this is the route that the project wishes to
take. In any event, I have done this and now, everything works as
required.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM