Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:07:34 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An idea for promoting FreeBSD

Stuart Henderson wrote:

> Mark Ovens wrote:
> >
> > Personal Computer World, which had Red Hat Linux on it's CD about 6
> > months ago, actually invites people to submit s/w for inclusion, the
> > following appears in every issue -
>

> Computer Shopper would be a better choice, the magazine is cheaper and
> higher distribution and they've been mentioning it in the last few
> months as well. "Hey it's that FreeBSD thing they've been going on
> about, I wonder what it looks like?" etc.

I wasn't suggesting PCW only, I was just using it as an example as there
is that invitation to submit software in every issue. We should try to
get FreeBSD on the cover CD of _every_ computer mag.

I didn't renew my subscription to Confuse-a-Shopper when it expired a
few months ago because I was fed up with the mag being so
pro-Microsloth, Unix was just something to poke fun at to make Win95 &
NT (Not Tested??) look better. So what happens? the last issue of my
subscription had a 4 page review of FreeBSD!!!, and a damn good one as
well wasn't it?

> A PPP setup script would be very necessary I think, preferably with a
> dead simple "phone number, username, password" setup for CHAP...most
> ISP's should cope with that these days, it's far easier to get chap
> working than repeatedly explain how to install scripting on Win95 :-)

Yes, it doesn't have to be a fancy GUI job just a plain old Bourne shell
script, but the questions need to simple and minimal. Phone number,
name, password as you suggest.

--
CNC Apps Engineer           | One of the main causes of the fall |