Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:23:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thread scheduling

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Arun Sharma wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 11:40:40PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > In scheduling multiple threads on a FreeBSD SMP system, is it just
> > important that if a thread asks for multiple processors, then it can
> > contend for multiple processors, or is it in any way important that these
> > multiple instances of execution from the same memory space actually occur
> > at the same point in time.
>
> A thread can't be scheduled on more than one processor simultaneously.
> Multiple threads in the same process can be. Assuming that this is
> what you meant...
>
> Is it desirable ? Yes. Can it be guaranteed ? Not easily. If you have a
> SMP machine dedicated to a particular task like web serving, the
> optimal use of the system would be to run multiple threads in the same
> address space on multiple processors.

I note that Nate disagreed with you ... dropping the subject of if it can
be done as premature, your blank statement of "Yes" isn't enough; can you
offer some reason why it's desireable?  If the task is reasonably active,
it'll stay in memory, so extra time won't be spent swapping.  I think that
all caching is done per processor, not per memory space, and (if I'm right
on that) then there wouldn't be a caching reason, right?

Why is it desireable?

> 	-Arun

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)