Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:41:29 +700
From:      sdoty@mta.lvdi.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Judging limits

 Hi,
 I have been wondering how to judge what limits a certain machine can handle.
When I install a new machine I always do some fine tuning. Like bumping up FD_SETSIZE
to have more file handles.
I add extra stuff to my kernel config to raise certain limits. A Example is
something like this.

options         SOMAXCONN=2024
options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096
options         CHILD_MAX=1024
options         OPEN_MAX=1024
options         "MAXMEM=(256*1024)"
options         "MAXDSIZ=(256*1024*1024)"
options         "DFLDSIZ=(256*1024*1024)"
options         FD_SETSIZE=9096

My question is. How can I judge what a machine can handle as far as file handles
or open childs. For example let say I have a,
Pentium III 450mhz with 256ram. And scsi HD's.
What can a machine like that handle? Is setting the FD_SETSIZE to 9096 asking
for trouble?
 I know doing something like that to a low end machine might be.
 Now on the other hand I don't want to set these limits to low or I will start
seeing out of file handle errors or out of mbuf's. But I don't want the machine
to over run its limits either and crash.

Thanks
Steve