Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 02:25:59 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Config Manifesto comments?

> I'll reply to this in more detail later, as I have a few domestic
> problems to deal with first (does "local redback plague" mean anything
> to you?), but in the hope that I catch you before it's too late...

Those are Kangaroos, right?  I thought that's what the roo-guards on
your trucks were for. :-)

> I disagree.  Violently.  I'll accept that a GUI may be mandatory (I
> know that others will puke here), but HTML does _not_ cut the mustard
> in any sense of the word.  Java?  Maybe; I doubt you'll find me using
> it in the short term, but I suspect we can find someone with some
> spare brainspace.

It may offend your olfactory nerves, but I really do think it can be
made to work, Mike.  I've *seen* the system work for the Empac server
installation, and that was using old and crufty early 90's technology.
I really find it hard to believe that we couldn't meet or exceed their
achievement (or BSDI's, for that matter - they made it work too) using
the benefit of hindsight.  No offense to Jan intended, but I'm pretty
pessimistic at this point that we'll ever get a usable curses toolkit
and/or get one which doesn't also make us upchuck.  People have been
trying to crack that nut for years, and the only folks who came even
close were the SCO folks, and they're not going to release that.

> Well, IMHO it means that BSDI have to extract whatever squeaking
> object is blocking whichever orifice that has prevented them from
> having Netscape support plugins on the BSD/OS versions to date.

Apparently this is a problem which Netscape is having with BSDI's
mutant object format.  I think the wait is now on for BSDI to make
their planned switch to ELF, after which we may revision the situation
again.

Also, Netscape 4.0 for BSD/OS will be linked shared so we won't be
able to run it anyway. With 4.0, it'll be back to the Linux netscape
for us, I'm afraid.

> Or we try to find a kindly soul at Netscape that will contract someone
> to build a FreeBSD version of Netscape.  Hell, I'd do it.

Hell, I've offered to go down there myself and do it in person for
free, NDAs and all.  Netscape was unmoved. :-)

> Basically, it means that the text-mode UI is toast, and Romeo becomes
> Tcl Plugin/Java code.  Sorry Jan.

No, it becomes HTML.  I never intended to use Netscape in this equation
since we aren't licensed for it anyway.  We can distribute Mosaic,
arena, chimera and a few other graphical browsers as options.

					Jordan