Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 05:35:26 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Enkhyl <enkhyl@hayseed.net>
Cc:        Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>, Edwin Culp <eculp@webwizard.org.mx>, Manfred Antar <mantar@netcom.com>, Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape no longer works with ELF system

Enkhyl wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > > For the truly paranoid (like me), the problem is that it only has
> > > export-grade crypto.
> >
> > You didn't miss Fortify, did you. It adds real crypto support to export
> > restricted Navigator versions, and it's still legal. Homepage is
> > http://www.fortify.net - for a list of supported platforms see
> > http://www.fortify.net/README.html#versions
>
> netscape 4.5b2 isn't supported.

Because 4.5b2 doesn't have the 128 bit code at all.

Background..  The export versions of netscape have both 40 and 128 bit
encryption.  The 40 bit code is default, but if the server has a special
key signed by the right people it means that the key is for a financial
institution etc which were "approved" for export use of stronger crypto.
So, when netscape sees one of these servers with the right keys, it turns
on full 128 bit mode, even on export browsers.

The fortify patches tweak this so that it will always try and use 128-bit
crypto regardless of the server key.  That's why the patches are so small.

Netscape 4.5 betas do not have the 128 bit mode at all yet, so can't be
used in 128 bit mode on financial institutions etc.

> --
> Christopher Nielsen
> Scient: The Art and Science of Electronic Business
> cnielsen@scient.com
> <http://www.scient.com>;

Cheers,
-Peter