Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:25:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld over NFS

[ On , April 21, 1998 at 20:08:55 (+0200), dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= ) wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: make buildworld over NFS
>
> s/hard/interruptible/g will at least let you interrupt processes you
> *know* will not lose data (or interrupt any process and take the
> consequences),without letting other processes time out and die. Keep
> in mind that with hard mounts, stuff like df and mount/umount will
> hang too, even if you are trying to mount / umount / change flags on a
> local filesystem.

Although I've not had the unfortunate chance to test this recently on
FreeBSD, it is my recollection that df(1) is not interruptible even when
mounted with '-i' and even though it's only reading filesystem metadata.

One related option BSD/OS 1.1 had that doesn't seem to be in FreeBSD is:

     spongy  Soft semantics for the stat, lookup, fsstat, readlink and readdir
             filesystem operations and hard semantics for the others.  This
             option is meant to be similar to hard, except that processes will
             not be hung forever when they trip over mount points to dead
             servers.

Of course here not being "hung forever" is a relative thing.  I think
the default retries result in the perception of the hang being for an
infinite amount of time.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>