Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 03:56:54 +0000
From:      "Lane Holcombe" <lane@dibbs.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VIRTUAL MEMORY EXCEEDED during make world ...

How do I fix that?

This is my first time to "make world," 'cause, (I wanna be real
cautious about entering into a new world), and my 486DX churned away
for 9.75 hours on the STABLE release ... then it stopped churning and
just sat for about an hour ... (I raked the leaves in my yard while
my computer did most of the work, but I checked it periodically ...
then ... nothing ... for about 1 hour)...  Then:  BOOM!

as[.c] in malloc(): warning: recursive call\n
Fatal error: virtual memory exceeded

Is it possible to increase my swap partition ... and would this be of
any use to me in this situation?  I've got about 1GIG free on /usr,
so space isn't the problem (I don't think, anyway), it just seems
that I don't have enough space allocated for swapping ...

Oh yeah ... my trusty ol' x486 only has 8meg of mammories ... 'cause
I'm also just a little too cheap to increase it ... don't hate me,
ok?

anyway ... thanks.
lane
~An autodidact nose know discipline