Date:      Wed, 14 May 2003 18:58:33 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restricting users from playing games

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:18:49PM +0200, Paul Everlund wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
> >On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 03:35:37PM +0200, Paul Everlund wrote:
> >
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>I would like to restrict the users in a company from playing
> >>games (KDE), but the VP should be able to. :-)
> >>
> >>What is the best/easiest way to do this?
> >>
> >>I've been thiking of putting the VP in her own group, lets
> >>call it vp, and do a chgrp to vp on the games, with an addi-
> >>tional chmod o-rx.
> >>
> >>The only drawback I've come up with (which I've not tested
> >>if this is the case), is that when upgrading KDE it will in-
> >>stall the games in the group wheel again. Can this be pro-
> >>hibited in some way, that is, when upgrading kdegames, it
> >>will install those games in the group vp instead of wheel?
> >

> >You might find the dm(8) and dm.conf(5) man pages interesting...

> dm looks interesting! But... It says that games should be put in
> /usr/games/hide     directory of ``real'' binaries
> and KDE-games are located in /usr/local/bin. Does this mean I have
> to relocate all KDE-games to /usr/games/hide? Or can one put sym-
> bolic links in /usr/games/hide to the KDE-games?

Yes --- the general idea is that you move the real game binary into
/usr/games/hide and replace it with a symbolic link to /usr/games/dm:
as far as the users are concerned they see the sym-link as if it was
the original program, if they are members of the 'games' group.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way