Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:04:19 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Buliwyf McGraw <buliwyf@libertad.univalle.edu.co>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipnat and icmp (II)

Buliwyf McGraw wrote:

> > >  Question: Can i do masquerade for icmp packets using ipf/ipnat???
> > >
> > >  For example:
> > >        A                        B
> > >        _                        _
> > >       |_|    Ping Request      |_|
> > >       ---    for hotmail       ---             -->    Internet
> > >       ---        -->           ---
> > >   192.168.1.5                Real IP
> > >                             Using ipf/ipnat
> > >   |_________________________________________|
> > >        My Intranet, where the server B
> > >        do ip masquerade for all the subnet
> > >        192.168.1.0
> >
> > If you mean "does ipf/ipnat translate ICMP packets properly?" the answer is
> > yes.
>
>   What i want to know is what rule i need to use in Server B, if i want to
>   do a traceroute/ping from 192.168.1.5 to www.hotmail.com, i dont care if
>   the answer for the request come from server B, what i want is to know if
>   some server on Internet is alive.
>   Can i do this with ipf/ipnat?
>
>   I tried something crazy, like:
>
>   map ed0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 240.1.0.0/24 portmap icmp 10000:20000
>
>   Obviusly, it doesnt work :/
>
>   Im looking for instructions about it, but in the examples i saw, always
>   talk about NAT for tcp/udp, never icmp. It is possible?

This certainly works on my machine:

	map rl1 192.168.42.0/16 -> rl1/32

portmapping with icmp doesn't make any sense and isn't legal syntax, so don't do
that. To combine the two, use the portmap option first, then the more open rule:

	map ed0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 240.1.0.0/24 portmap tcp/udp 1025:65000
	map ed0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 240.1.0.0/24