Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 2002 20:56:44 +0000
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Unsucessful with 5.0-CURRENT Installation on a 120G IDE HDD

Hi there.

I tried installing the 5.0-CURRENT-20021028-JPSNAP ISO today, on my 120G
harddrive, which is the second one on the system.  Sysinstall failed to get
the right geometry of the disk, even though the BIOS was in LBA mode.

My 50G FreeBSD partition (ad1s3) as two partitions, 1000MB and a 128MB.
The DOS partition (ad1s2) on the harddrive was just right, and nothing
wrong it, but only the FreeBSD partitions messed up.

I made a 8G partition on the front of the disk (ad1s1), in which I was
planning to install FreeBSD.  Now, I am not sure what the real cause is,
i.e. why are we not allowed to install on an 8G partition on a 120G disk?

It could be that I am doing something very wrong, but I would like to get
to the bottom of this, as I lost about 15G worth of data, i.e. fdisk still
shows that the partition is there, but fsck_ffs is not proceeding.  This
could be because of GEOM or something, but I am not sure, as I cannot try a
non-GEOM sysinstall anyway.

Also, is there a way I can get that 15G worth of data back, somehow, or do
I just have to say bye-bye to it?

All help will be appreciated.
Cheers.

--