Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:01:24 +0400
From:      Ilya Bakulin <webmaster@kibab.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   GSoC project: Make optional kernel subsystems register themselves via sysctl

--Sig_/kayTty+Y13aej03uLxQRIZm

Hi list,
I participate in GSoC this summer, so I want to announce my project.  Proje=
ct details may be found at FreeBSD wiki, [1].
Completing this project will make it easy to get current kernel feature set=
 from the userland, thus simplifying writing system administration scripts,=
 autoconfigurating Ports, jailed packages building jobs, etc.
My experience with FreeBSD includes using it as the main OS for both server=
s and work PCs. This includes solving problems with buggy ACPI, helping som=
e FreeBSD developers to test their code on my hardware, tuning our company'=
s FreeBSD servers. I maintain several ports in FreeBSD Ports Collection. Al=
so I was working with FreeBSD/ARM for some time (this includes developing c=
ustom firmware for the proprietary AT91RM9200-based device, done together w=
ith Stanislav Sedov, and driver code for Marvell 88F5182 SATA controller --=
 work done for Semihalf. It was committed to FreeBSD-CURRENT last summer).
=20
According to suggested timeline described at [1], now it's time to decide w=
hat kernel subsystems need to be registered this way, and how this registra=
tion may be overriden.
The interesting question is: should modules register themselves under kern.=
features tree? For example, USB support may be either compiled into kernel =
or loaded as a module at runtime. In the first case it seems to be a good i=
dea to register it under kern.features. The main goal is not to rely on "kl=
dstat -v" to get compiled-in modules.
Other need-to-be-registered things are ALTQ support, MAC support, INET/INET=
6,...
I expect all such sysctls to be boolean: the feature X is either present, i=
n this case "kern.features.X =3D 1", or not present -- simply no node at ke=
rnel.features. But maybe it's not sufficient? =20

So I'll be glad to hear your opinion, and hope we all will be able to set "=
kern.features.the_best_os_ever=3D1" in our kernel feature sets at the end o=
f the summer :-) Good luck for all GSoC participants!

[1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2010IlyaBakulin

--=20
Regards,
Ilya Bakulin