Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:51:10 +0900
From:      Joel Rees <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   [NNOT] Stability on Soekris class h/w? (was Re: 6.0-BETA2 as reliable webserver?)

On =E5=B9=B3=E6=88=90 17/08/20, at 13:24, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-Aug-19 23:42:18 +0200, Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek wrote:
>
>> building. Since we are moving in a few months, we decided to use a HP
>> laptop instead (reasonably fast CPU, 512 Megs) since we had a few to
>> spare.
>>
>> The toy is currently set up with FreeBSD 6.0-BETA2, Apache 2.0, =20
>> MySQL 5.0
>> and PHP-5.0 with all the reasonable modules. Everything is =20
>> compiled from
>> ports. No changes to the kernel yet, no world-rebuilding done.
>>

> I'd also be extremely loath to bet my company on a laptop running beta
> software.  As others have pointed out, laptops aren't designed for
> this.  (Though my old Compaq laptop ran FreeBSD 24x7 for several years
> and I only stopped using it because the lid was cracking too badly).

Yeah, I've had my home server running on an old iBook (not FreeBSD). =20
I had replaced the original disk with a larger used one because the =20
original was just 6GB. The used disk lasted only a year. Had to open =20
it back up and put the 6GB drive back in until I can afford a new =20
disk (or a Mac Mini). I need to add RAM to that poor child, too.

That said, 512 MB RAM in the HP notebook might leave enough RAM for a =20=

RAM disk. One could mirror Apache, PHP, MySQL (app, not DB), =20
libraries, and the web app itself onto a RAM disk. That way the =20
server could respond to initial hits out of the RAM disk while the HD =20=

is spinning up.

> If you're really concerned about noise:
> - use an older desktop and maybe even underclock it to keep it cooler
> - build your own system.  Either go the low power route (mini-ITX) so
>   you don't need noisy fans or use an over-rated PSU and CPU heatsink
>   to keep fan speed (and noise) down.  In either case, you'll need to
>   look around to find a quiet HDD.

So, what's the stability of FreeBSD 5.x/6.x on Soekris  class hardware?

I'm thinking especially in terms of mulit-port nics that would =20
support bridging, etc.

> - [as a completely left-field suggestion] look at something like an
>   Apple G5 system - large fans running slowly generate very little =20
> noise.

Maybe even Mac Mini? ;->

fbsd on PPC is still not even close to stable, and the iNTEL Macs are =20=

still at least ten months away. But openBSD and netBSD run rather =20
well on PPC if the eye candy of Mac OS X is unpleasant or the cost of =20=

Mac OS X Server (for a little added peace of mind?) is uncomfortable.

Joel Rees   <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   =E6=A0=AA=E5=BC=8F=E4=BC=9A=E7=A4=BE=E3=83=87=E3=82=B8=E3=
=82=B3=E3=83=A0
Kobe, Japan   +81-78-672-8800
** <http://www.ddcom.co.jp>; **