Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:06:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      manny rosa <manny_robot_freak@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   USB Zip 250

This is not a question. I just would like to state
that SO FAR, my usb zip 250MB drive (the one powered
by the USB bus) works with FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE and
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE. The reason I'm stating this is
because I couldn't find any sort of confirmation in
the mailing lists that the device works.

Configuration was quite simple. Your kernel must have
usb, uhci/ohci, umass, scbuss, and da (maybe the
modules can be loaded via loader.conf instead but I
haven't tried it). Then, just plug it in. dmesg should
then say...

umass0: Iomega USB Zip 250, rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <IOMEGA ZIP 250 90.V> Removable Direct Access
SCSI-0 device
da0: 650KB/s transfer

Note: I don't have any scsi devices so the zip drive
is on da0.

In my case, mounting a factory-formatted disk...

mount -t msdos /dev/da0s4 ~/zip/

I've read several "tips" about mounting such drives,
such as making sure the drive is plugged in and has a
disk inside before booting, etc. Well, I've been
"stress-testing" the drive and plug-n-play
functionality of usb seems to work just fine. In fact,
I booted this computer without the drive. Then I
pluged in the drive with no disk and got the following
additional message...

da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY,
Medium not present

Makes sense since there was no disk in the drive. I
then inserted the disk and mounted it without any
problems. Then I unmounted it, unplugged it, and
plugged it in again with a disk in the drive. dmesg
likes that...

da0: 239MB (489532 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 239C)

Things I haven't (and would like to) tested:
* mounting 100MB disks
* formatting disk with ufs (it's supposed to perform
better)

There's my two-cents!