Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 20:01:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: strange messages

Gary Palmer writes:

> I just found these messages in my /var/log/messages:
>
> Apr  1 23:00:00 palmer kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc:44,0Internal target failure fru:14
> Apr  1 23:00:01 palmer kernel: , retries:4
> Apr  1 23:00:01 palmer kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc:44,0Internal target failure fru:14
> Apr  1 23:00:01 palmer kernel: , retries:3
>
> Would someone care to translate?

The disk is having problems.  "fru" is Field Replaceable Unit.
If you had the full technical manual for your drive you might actually be
able to find out what unit this is.  I'm surprised that ANY modern drive
has any field replaceable units; maybe it is the CPU board or something.

As long as retries never counts down to 0 the I/O completed OK.

What type of disk is this?

> Would this be related to the SCSI bus hangs I sometimes experience?

Never say never but I doubt it.  Could you describe these hangs
more completely?

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936