Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2008 02:20:37 +0000
From:      John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com>
To:        John Scroggins <dataefx@charter.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unable to upgrade to 7.1-PRE

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 06:09:43PM -0700, John Scroggins wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have attempted to upgrade to 7.1-Pre with no avail.
> My source tree is has been cleaned and /usr/obj is cleared every time
> the system is rebuilt. I have swapped over the kernel config to the
> latest Generic and uncommented the dtrace hooks -- but my build
> continues to fall on its face compiling the dtrace module.
>
> Is there something I'm missing here ? good chance its obvious, but I'm
> at a loss --- :(
[...]
> In file included
> from /usr/src/sys/modules/dtrace/sdt/../../../cddl/dev/sdt/sdt.c:42:
> /usr/src/sys/modules/dtrace/sdt/../../../cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/sys/dtrace.h:630:19: warning: "_BIG_ENDIAN" is not defined

Please check if you have any files in /usr/src/sys/cddl and subdirectories
which have #undef _BIG_ENDIAN.

The ZFS port used to do this, but it broke the FreeBSD elf headers which rely on
both BIG and LITTLE endian definitions being defined. And that broke the DTrace
build.

The current code is _supposed_ to work with the standard endian definitions that
FreeBSD uses. The fact that your build barfs on a missing _BIG_ENDIAN define is
an indication that either something hasn't updated correctly in your cvsup or I've
f'up again (ugh).

The problem you are seeing has nothing to do with the kernel config. You can have
KDTRACE_HOOKS in your kernel config or not and the result will be the same.

--
John Birrell