Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:22:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Peter Sidow <psi@munich.sgi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Multiple=?iso-8859-1?Q?_CPU=B4s?= ?

On 26-Nov-99 Peter Sidow wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running at home an older version ( 2.2.5 I think ) and know that
> that version is only good for one CPU.
> But does 3.3 support multiple cpu´s? I have a giga motherboard with two
> I 586 and would like to use both
> processors. I looked into the kernel configuration file from the
> handbook but there is still no choice for selecting
> two ore more cpu´s.
>
> Regards and thanks!
First you will need at least version 3.0.

Look into /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC

there you will find:

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options        NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options        NBUS=4                  # number of busses
#options        NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options        NINTR=24                # number of INTs

I just uncommented the two first options and recompiled the kernel. At the next
boot both processors came up.

With the 'top' command you'll have an extra column indicating which CPU is
doing what.

My motherboard TYAN 1669(?) needed its BIOS updated, but all was easy after
that.

Hope it helps a bit.
/Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE