Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:37:14 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "Kerry Davis" <kedavis@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install with DOS partition already in place

On 10/12/00, 10:02:28 PM, "Kerry Davis" <kedavis@uswest.net> wrote=20
regarding Re: Install with DOS partition already in place:

> That might be helpful, if I had a working system.

Never say never :-)
There are online man pages at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi =20

Oooops, I decidedly overlooked, you are quite right.

You should be able to restore your boot manager via sysinstall or by=20
performing such a procedure as the following (from a letter of Lucas=20
Bergman's sent on April 2000, retrieved from my personal archives):

Boot from the first CD.  Then choose the FIXIT option from
sysinstall.  Insert the second CD when it asks, and jump over to the
fixit shell with <Alt>-<F4>.  From the shell, mount your FreeBSD drive

  # mount /dev/ad0s2 /mnt

or whatever.  Then, you can refresh the MBR with

  # chroot /mnt
  # mount -a
  # /usr/sbin/boot0cfg -Bv ad0

Of course, check boot0cfg(8) for details.  The `mount -a' step is, of
course, unnecessary if your /usr is on the same partition as /.

As an alternative, if you play a little with sysinstall, e.g. if you=20
install the boot manager not modifying your slice & partitions=20
information, and then you leave the installation, that should do the=20
trick. There should also be step-by-step instructions (or close to=20
that) in the mail archives, too.

Best regards,
Salvo