Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 04:22:45 +0900
From:      Takanori Watanabe <takawata@axe-inc.co.jp>
To:        acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Frode Nordahl <frode@nordahl.net>
Subject:   Re: [acpi-jp 1925] Re: acpid implementation?

In message <3DCC3D7B.F062FFA3@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert wrote:
>Hiten Pandya wrote:
>> > I have been searching mailing lists and my friend Google for information
>> > about a acpid (like apmd) implementation for FreeBSD, but I have found
>> > nothing.
>> >
>> > Does one exist anywhere, or has anyone started out on something without
>> > telling anyone? :)
>>
>> Why do you need an acpid?
>
>Power profiles, for one.

It is obious there will be good if we have a way to catch power
event from userland.

I have some ideas to implement it.
One way is implement with kqueue(2) and /dev/acpi to
get power events. This way does not require daemons
to wait the event exclusively. Each process that requires
to get power event can handle it by the interface.
I wrote the experimental code a years ago.

Next way is that make /dev/acpictl node that can open
exclusively and catch the power event by it, like apmd.

The last way is that extend /dev/devctl interface and
devd(8) that can handle power event.