Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:16:01 -0600
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Thawan Kooburat" <kthawan@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increase process number in FreeBSD 6.0

On 2/22/06, Thawan Kooburat <kthawan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>    I am using FreeBSD 6.0. My course assignment required me to
> increase  process number running on a system.
>    I have already modify /boot/loader.conf on following parameters
>
>      kern.maxusers =3D 384
>      kern.maxproc =3D 50000
>      kern.maxprocperuid =3D 50000
>
>    But after reboot maxproc and maxprocperuid is only 5278 and 4755
> respectively. From my research maxproc is calculated from maxusers,
> but   i think my maxproc number is limited by other factors as well.
> Are there any suggestion to this problem without increasing RAM?
>
>   My system is running on VMware and 256 MB of RAM available. The test
> program create process by using fork() and child processes is put to
> sleep() immediately after its creation.

I'm not sure if this still works but put "options MAXUSERS=3D512" in the
kernel config file and rebuild the kernel. also maybe put it in
sysctl.conf

"The auto-tuning algorithm sets maxuser equal to the amount of memory in th=
system, with a minimum of 32, and a maximum of 384."

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/