Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:20:04 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@over.ru>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advanced file systems for BSD

* Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no> [000229 13:08] wrote:
> > the abbrviation lfs was a general reference to log structured
> > filesystems, which reiserfs as of the last versions also is when it
> > comes to journaling.
>
> Er. As I recall, Reiser FS uses preserve lists, which basically means that
> it writes slightly out of place and bottom-up, which gives you the
> advantages of journalling without losing quite that much performance.

Since no one seems to read it:

  http://devlinux.com/projects/reiserfs/8_1.html

    Preserve lists substantially hamper performance for files in
    the 1-10k size range. We are re-evaluating them.

Reiser is supposed to address small files with the most efficiency,
considering it's only 32bit you'd expect it to, however this seems
to not be the case.

-Alfred