Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:49:33 +0300
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
Cc:        guy@netapp.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs v2

In message <20000928110430.B362@quadrajet.flashcom.com>you write:
}I'll have to check on this when I get into work (please reply not only
}to my address at home, "gharris@flashcom.net", but also to my work
}address, which I'm CCing), but, if I remember correctly, I had to put
}some amount of gunk into the NFS V2 implementation on NetApp filers to
}handle

after mounting -2 on a fbsd box, i deleted the dev directory and MAKDEV all
and things are ok now.

}
}	1) NFS V2 having, as I remember, insufficient bits in the
}	   major/minor device value used when creating special files to
}	   support more than 8 bits of major and 8 bits of minor device;
if i remember correctly,i copied the / over to the NetAPP via nfsv3
either tar or dump, and all is ok. it's when it gets mounted v2 (which the
diskcless boot does) it's when dev is wrong.

}	2) some OSes - Solaris was the one with which we were having
}	   problems, as I remember - requiring those extra bits.
i tried solaris 2.6 and it's ok.
}
}NFS V3 is probably a better idea, if you can use it; we (NetApp) have
}supported it for many years, and I suspect most if not all other vendors
}of NFS servers do so as well.
}
and it's the prefered mount here too, the problem is the FreeBSD nfs_root/boot
that is booting using V2. im trying to see how to get the boot to it's magic
via V3, but that does not fix the problem :-)

}Also, could you get a network trace of:
}
}	the creation of the "/dev/null" entry, if it was done over NFS;
}
}	attempts by the FreeBSD box to get the attributes of "/dev/null"
}	via NFS (e.g., an "ls -l /mnt/tmp/null", from your example);
}
}and send them to me?
if you mena a tcpdump, that will have to wait till the morning (my morning :-)
}
Thanks,

	danny
PS: out of curosity, what os is NetAPP base on?

}(Note to self:
}
}	% ls -l /dev/null
}	crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    2,   2 Sep 28 10:06 /dev/null
}
}.)