Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:27:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP modem not recognized at boot, but by pnpinfo(8)

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 01:31:38AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > (even if you add more hardware). If you set it to "Enabled" you should
> > see something like "Updating ECSD......Done" at the end of the BIOS
> > messages (just before the OS starts). I see the same message if
> > Windows finds new hardware or I change the resource settings (this is
> > what I was meaning about Windows f*****g with the BIOS settings).
>
> Oops. I should have added that if you set it to "Enabled" you may well
> find your modem appears on a different IRQ (possibly 5 or 11).

I dream that it does, some nights. :)) On windows, it's on irq10!

> This may get it working in FreeBSD but as soon as you run Windows again it
> will probably go back to IRQ3.

I don't think so. Windows will most logically keep it on irq10...

> One way to make the change permanent
> would be to completely remove the modem in Windows, reboot and go into
> the BIOS, set to "Enabled", exit the BIOS (which reboots), and go into
> Windows, which will "Find new hardware". If the IRQ the BIOS assigned
> is unused by Windows you may be lucky and Windows may use it (but
> Windows may change it anyway in which case, unless it uses something
> other than IRQ 3, you are back where you started).

And if the BIOS sets it on something incompatible with Windows, I'm
screwed and I can't do local debugging 'cause I don't have a modem
anymore.

I'm not sure I want to risk fiddling with windows devices again. It seems
very fragile. Poor little ugly thing.

Did I told you that it once removed its own drivers for "Main
Board" and "Processor Support" from its own device list? It looks a little
like this:

Computer: "Windows has found new hardware"
Me: "WHAT?"
Computer: "Windows is attempting to find the drivers for the following
hardware:

	- Main Board (Removed)"

Me: "WHAT??? Hey somebody stole my mother board and I didn't notice,
thanks!"

Yeah. Right. Sure. I'm going to sleep now. Enough babble from me for a
year.

A,.

Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora