Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:38:05 +0200
From:      Erik Cederstrand <erik+lists@cederstrand.dk>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   ioctl

Hi folks,

I managed to get a 64-bit Oracle instantclient running under 64-bit =
Linux so I can connect to an Oracle database using the Oracle client =
"sqlplus".

Now, whenever I run sqlplus, I get this message in /var/log/messages:

  kernel: linux: pid 92000 (sqlplus): ioctl fd=3D3, cmd=3D0x1268 =
('',104) is not implemented

0x1268 is BLKSSZGET according to linux_ioctl.h.

The message is harmless as sqlplus seems to be working correctly, but I =
would like to get rid of it and learn new things along the way.

I think the message comes from this code: =
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/compat/linux/linux_ioct=
l.c#L3606

Apparently, the Linux compat code does not implement the ioctl() system =
call at all. Is this a deliberate choice? I have no idea how this code =
works, or the security implications of changing it, but it seems like a =
minor change to forward linux_ioctl_args to FreeBSD ioctl()?

Erik