Date:      Thu, 12 May 2005 11:16:38 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL on FreeBSD

Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

>> Some thoughts:
>> - /mnt/hal/ suggests (at least to those which know what it may be) that
>>    there are mountpoints which are controled by something.
>
> HAL would be controlling them.

Yes, I know. But I tried to look from a novice point of view. I think
/mnt/managed/ or hal-managed would be more obvious.

>> - Do have /mnt/hal/media/* and /mnt/media/* to be that deep?
>> - Some (a lot) docs refer to mounting someting to /mnt or /mnt2, using
>>    /mnt/XXX would result in unwanted behavior if someone follows
>>    those docs.
>> - Does it hurt to add a new directory to the rootfs and to hier(7)
>>    for the purpose of algorithm controled mounting?
>
> Yeah, this makes a lot of sense.  Getting people to agree on this might
> be tough, though.  Probably something that should be done, then
> apologize after the fact.

Yes. I think we need something, so don't ask "how/which name", just use the
color you like (if it fits the technical needs). Following the linux way
(/media) sounds consistent, using /media/hal-managed/ looks obvious and
allows for non-managed mointpoints below /media (and allows to use /mnt for
temporary mounting). But those are just my colors (and I'm mixing the
generic issue (/media) with the HAL issue), I don't mind if you use other
colors. I don't like to have e.g. /media/hal-managed/cdrom, since we have
/cdrom; so yes, it will be though. :-)

Bye,
Alexander.

Behind every argument is someone's ignorance.