Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:44:36 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Andrew Terekhov <andrewter@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting fetch URIs for portupgrade

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:48:54PM -0700, Andrew Terekhov wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 5.1 Release. I updated all sources, ports and docs=
=20
> by cvsup. I am trying to do a binary upgrade of my system by installing=
=20
> latest packages. I run: portupgrade -aPPR. fetch phase fails to get=20
> packages because it goes to a wrong site:=20
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.1-release/All
>=20
> OTOH I can see that the latest packages that portupgrade trying to fetch=
=20
> are located here:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All

packages-stable is for FreeBSD 4.x -- these are not the packages you
are looking for -- you should be looking for packages-current, as in:

    ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-current/All

which are compile for 5.x
=20
> How can I change URIs where fetch is looking for the latest packages?=20
> Setting PKG_SITES environment variable doesn't have any effect. Editing=
=20
> /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf to set PKG_SITES also doesn't change where=
=20
> fetch is going. Handbook, man pages, googling, etc didn't find any=20
> references regarding how to configure fetch URIs. I don't want to=20
> compile everything through ports because life is short. What should I do?

   setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages=
-current/All/
   pkg_add -r somepackagename-9.99.9.tbz

(NB. the trailing slash / on that URL is important.  Don't leave it out.)

There are equivalents to these settings in pkgtools.conf

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way